Wednesday, August 08, 2007

UPDATE: August 8, 2007

The test/tune-up runs are completed. It will take a couple of weeks before the electric motor brushes are fully seated and the battery pack will accept a full charge.
However: The inaugural "Ice Cream Run" will be on Saturday. I don't think there will be any problem motivating to the ice cream parlor at WSU and back. (Round trip approximately 20 miles.)
I have a couple of pieces of energy monitoring equipment that I use to monitor the battery recharging. My Rudman PFC-20 charger will pump about 22 amps, however I've throttled it back to about 15.5 amps, at this point. After the last 17 mile run, I put 5.5 kwh's of energy back into the car. Here in Pullman, our electrical cost is $.05/kwh. At that rate, the cost per mile is roughly 1-1/2 cents! A round trip to Pullman will cost about 30-cents. (My pickup will use a little over one gallon of gas for the same trip ... go figure!)

7 comments:

JacquelineKD said...

How about an electric Volvo???

P Daisley said...

I'm there! When are you going? Meet you there?

TimK said...

Congratulations on getting your EV rocking and rolling. Another ICE bites the dust!

Bryan said...

This is SO cool!!

Anonymous said...

I cant wait until my wife loosens the grip on the pocket book and lets me start building mine.

Anonymous said...

Roger:

So impressed by the conversion story to 'green' fuel that I would like to follow in your footsteps someday! Rob Jr. showed me your blog and I will check it often. Hope to ride in the VW or S-10 on the Palouse highway! Talk to you later. -Rob Floberg Sr.

Roger Daisley said...

Thanks, Rob. Hope to see you over this way one day ... you are welcome to test drive the car at anytime.